It is almost an overused expression to say that all good things must come to an end. Sad as it may seem, this is also true of CBD oil. It isn’t all bad news… If stored properly, you can keep CBD oil for up to two years with minimal loss of potency over that time.
What is CBD oil?
Cannabidiol (or CBD) is a chemical found in the Sativa Cannabis plant, otherwise known as hemp. CBD oil does not have THC (Tetrahydrocannabinol), the chemical in the marijuana plant that gets you high, meaning it has no psychoactive effects. Instead, you can use CBD oil to support wellbeing and relaxation.
Is expired CBD oil bad for you?
It’s important to remember that, while CBD oil has a shelf life of about two years, it remains safe to use in small doses after that time. Just to be safe; we recommend that any bottles of CBD oil are disposed of after this time has elapsed, especially if they are stored improperly.
What is the best way to store CBD oil?
CBD oil benefits most from a cool, dark environment away from direct sunlight. CBD oil is often packaged in bottles of darker colors, such as dark green or blue, for this reason. While a cool environment is essential when storing CBD oil, it is not necessary to refrigerate it. Instead, room temperature (about 60 – 70 degrees Fahrenheit) is the best choice.
How else do I keep CBD oil fresh?
Keeping it in a cool, dry place is not the only way to maximize the shelf life of CBD oil. Here are some tips to keep CBD oil as fresh as possible, for as long as possible:
- Avoid air exposure. The bottle should only be opened when used and closed again as soon as possible. This reduces oxidation, CBD oil’s natural enemy.
- Store bottles upright rather than horizontally.
- If possible, don’t store CBD oil in a room with a humidifier: The moisture in the space may encourage the growth of mold in CBD oil.
- Keep CBD oil away from warm places. This includes radiators, ovens and other sources of heat. It is also a good idea not to carry CBD oil in your pockets for an extended period, as this too can be a breeding ground for bacteria.
- Make sure your utensils for use are kept clean. Whether you’re using a spoon or a dropper to administer CBD oil, it is crucial to keep these utensil’s clean. This avoids the introduction of harmful bacteria which may contaminate CBD oil.
The most important thing to remember is that, even though CBD oil does have a shelf life, this can extend when the CBD oil is stored correctly. This means that you can enjoy its many benefits all year round.